Obtaining a Padrón


How to apply for a Padron

We make it simple, when you purchase a property through Spanish Property Choice and The Garners of Channel 4, Sun Sea and Selling House we will help and guide you to obtain your Padron, it is a very easy process which can be done by yourself or through your legal representative.

Officially, everyone who resides in Spain for more than 180 days in any year is required by law to register on the Padron, which is the official list of all those residing in each municipality.

What does a Padron do?
The Padron is a proof of residence that allows you for example to register with the Spanish Authorities to buy a car or get Spanish plates for your car, or to register your children for a school, or university.

It is important every resident obtains a Padron because the more people who do, the more funding will be available for better public services. The Spanish government allocate funds to its various autonomous communities depending upon how many people are listed on the Padron. This funding goes towards the health centres, police officers, street cleaners, etc.

The Garner family have lived here for the past 18 years and have seen these funds being used throughout the province and the area develop significantly during this period. So if you ask does this money actually get distributed then in our experience we can say yes.

Also if you are listed on the Padron, you are eligible for access to certain income-related benefits and other aspects of social care available through your local town hall, this may include discounted Spanish courses, along with leisure activities.

You can not have a vote if you are not registered on the Padron. In addition to this, your day-to-day life is generally a lot easier if you are an official resident. This document is your official proof of address, and is excellent when carrying out pretty much any administrative task in Spain.

Where do I get a Padron from?
All you need to do is visit your local Padron department in your Town or the local Town Hall in the village you have purchased your property in.
What documents do I need to take with me?
  • You need to take your original passport plus a photocopy, your NIE number or a registration certificate from the national police (“policia nacional”) foreigners office, and a photocopy of this also.
  • Proof of ownership of property – Your title deeds is preferred, if you do not have access to them then an IBI/Council tax receipt in your name is sufficient but also take a photocopy with you.
  • If you are renting a property and do not have ownership of a property here in Spain, then your rental contract in Spanish and a photocopy is ok.
  • All family members over the age of 18 have to sign the registration form.

How much does it cost to obtain a Padron?

Most town halls can decide the cost involved, however on average if you apply yourself, the cost is minimal between 1 and 5€, so it will not break the bank.

Disclaimer: The information provided by Spanish Property Choice S.L. on our website www.spanishpropertychoice.com is for general informational purposes only. All of the information on our websiteis provided in good faith. We take every care and precaution to ensure that information published on this website is accurate when posted and regularly updated, however Spanish Property Choice S.L. cannot be held liable for its accuracy or timeliness and Spanish Property Choice S.L may change the information at any time without notice. Spanish Property Choice S.L make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness of any information on the website or mobile applications either directly or indirectly including any other website linked to it. You must not rely on the information on the website and you acknowledge that you must take appropriate steps to verify this information provided with your legal representative prior to acting on it.